Tuesday, February 5, 2008

DJ LEON SMITH - FAQ

Let's kick off this blog with a little bit about me, DJ Leon Smith.

WHAT MAKES YOU AUSTRALIA’S CRUNKEST DJ?
I know how to keep a club crunk while still keeping fans of every different style of “urban” (I hate that word with a passion but everyone uses it so there it is) music happy.

WHERE CAN I HEAR YOU PLAY?
In Sydney, come to XO @ HUNTER BAR (50 Hunter St) on a Saturday night. It’s the only place to be in Sydney on a Saturday night so I’ll probably see you there anyway.

WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH XXX HIP HOP?
The XXX Hip Hop series is a CD/DVD compilation that I put out through Universal Music. It’s one of Australia’s best selling hip-hop compilations and if you love your smut – like I do – then you’ll love XXX Hip Hop.

HOW DO I GO ABOUT BOOKING YOU?
Email info at djleonsmith dot com with as many details as possible. I’ll get back to you within 24 hours at the very latest.

HI, I’M A PROMOTER AND I WANT TO BOOK YOU BUT I’M SCARED THAT YOU’RE GOING TO PLAY NOTHING BUT HARDCORE CRUNK.
Hi, you’re a moron. I’ve been DJing for almost 10 years for every crowd imaginable and know exactly what to play and when.

I’M SURE THE NIGHT WILL BE A SUCCESS, I DON’T HAVE ANY MONEY ON ME BUT CAN I PAY YOU NEXT WEEK?
No.

ALL THE OTHER DJs WORKING ON THE NIGHT ARE WORKING FOR FREE, CAN YOU DO ME A FAVOUR AS WELL?
No.

HOW COME YOU CHARGE $X WHEN I CAN GET THIS DJ FOR $Y?
My rate is my rate. If you want to pay another DJ less, that’s cool. Your night most probably sucks balls due to the fact you hire cheap-ass DJs so I’m more than happy not to play there.

NOW THAT I’VE BOOKED YOU, WHAT DO YOU NEED FROM ME?
Not much actually – professional grade equipment (you’d be surprised how many clubs have busted mixers/booth monitors/turntables) and maybe a few Irish whiskey and Cokes while I’m working. I don’t need a cheese platter or a white couch to relax on while I’m waiting to perform.

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU’RE NOT DJING?
Gamble, play Xbox 360, drink Tullamore Dew, (kids, drinking and gambling is bad) and support the Seattle Supersonics and Brisbane Bullets. I’ve also written for XXL, SLAM, RALPH, Urban Hitz, Pro Basketball Today and New Idea. That’s right son, New Idea!

WHAT’S YOUR BACKGROUND?
Half-Irish, half-Scottish, all Aussie.

HOW MANY PAIRS OF SNEAKERS DO YOU OWN?
Over 60. I wear a size 15-16 if any companies want to send me some pairs. Big shoutout to Nike, k1x, Kickz101 and dplayground for past hookups.

No comments: