Tuesday, April 7, 2009

XO @ ST JAMES HOTEL - F.A.Q.

Whenever a club moves venues, it always gets people talking. I've had countless people hitting me up about XO's move to St James Hotel, and after answering a million different questions (and seeing some interesting discussion on internet message boards and Facebook!), I decided I'd just put most of the details here in a FAQ.

Q: Why is XO moving?
A: Finding a great venue in Sydney is tough. Especially for a hip-hop club. When we had the chance to move to St James, it was a no-brainer to grab the opportunity. Check out the venue for yourself and you'll understand!

Q: Did you get kicked out of Hunter Bar?
A: Nope, and I'll go into this in more detail at a later time! Hunter Bar were very keen for us to stick around. Extremely keen. Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy keen. We chose to leave, which was a tough decision - we've been running XO there for three and a half years, I've been DJing there for seven years and Carl Alley has been DJing there for nine years and nine months!

Q: Are you changing the music policy at the new venue.
A: Hell to the no. Same DJs, same MCs, still the best music in Sydney. Every XO DJ is still on at St James Hotel - Carl Alley, Peter Gunz, Naiki, Cookie, MC Fuzz, Blazin MC and myself. Plus the usual selection of local and international guest DJs. There is one change though...

Q: St James Hotel is massive and has more than one room. What's with that?
A: We've got SPANISH HARLEM in the other room! Which is a fairly big deal. So for the one cover charge you get two clubs, and not just two clubs but the two leading clubs in their respective fields (XO for hip-hop and R&B, Spanish Harlem for Latino music). This is like paying for a ticket to watch the 1992 Chicago Bulls and finding out 2009 LeBron James and 2001 Kobe Bryant are also having a dunk contest at half time.

Q: So I don't have to pay extra if I want to go to the Spanish Harlem room?
A: No - one cover charge, one venue, two clubs.

Q: Where abouts is St James Hotel?
A: 114 Castlereagh St. Refer to the map above - it's right in the middle of the city. Just off Market St, about a five minute walk from Town Hall.

Q: When are you opening?
A: Saturday April 18.

Q: Is the guestlist still the same?
A: Yes, you can still get on the guestlist at the usual spots (MySpace, Facebook, emailing XO, emailing me). One thing though, I'm resetting my personal guestlist - after three years of accumulated names, I need to reboot it. If you've been on it every week in the past then you're still on it, but after the first few weeks at St James I'm going to get rid of a lot of the ghost names of people I haven't seen in a while, so make sure you come down and get your name crossed off so you don't get caught up in that madness!

Q: Can I buy you a drink at the grand opening of XO/Spanish Harlem at St James on Saturday April 18?
A: (No one has actually asked this question but it would be cool if someone did!)

No comments: