Tuesday, October 6, 2009

R.I.P. PAUL SWEENEY

This is a day late, was trying to get a hi-res scan of the above image but couldn't get it in time (click here for a larger image of the article though, it ran in Brisbane's The Courier Mail). I haven't paid respects to my uncle who died two days before my birthday two years ago, Paul Sweeney. He was more like a dad than my actual (douchebag) dad, and out of my dad and four uncles, I ended up more like him than anyone - even the part about being a happy bachelor, well into my mid-30s. He never got married and at the rate I'm going, I never will either!

My latest tattoo, that I got mid-last year, is also dedicated to Paul - his initials are M.P.S. (you can't see the "S" in this pic though) and the "054" part refers to my old basketball number and a number he used for different things in his life (that I had no idea about, one of those cool coincidences).


Anyway, I'm not sure what I want to say here, just that everything my uncle did was top class - from his career as a sportsman, where he played rugby for Queensland, led my old high school to their only cricket title for about 50 years, to his journalistic career with The Sunday Sun as the Sports Editor (if you didn't know, I'm also a journalist, and spent the majority of my career as a sports journo). I'll pour out some Guinness for you tonight Uncle Paul.

No comments: